Monday, August 19, 2013

Digital Recipe Card Makeover


Brined Salmon Recipe CardOne thing I love about creating digital art is that you always get a second chance ... and a 3rd, 4th, etc. ...

In Creating Recipes and Recipe Cards, I showed you my first attempt at a recipe card design (on left in top photo). It was only after printing that I could see how distracting the brown patterned background was.

The only waste in doing this digital makeover was a sheet of cardstock. I don't consider the time spent in botched designs to be a waste. That's an investment in my graphic arts education as well as a pleasure.

Brined Salmon Recipe CardIn the makeover, I used a blender template to hide a diagonal swath of the brown "Bon Appetit" paper by Scrap Girls' Brandy Murry.

Though the blender template is black (as you can see in the Layers Panel below - black right pointing arrow), by "clipping" a paper (or photo) of your choice to the template, you can make it look any way you like.

In this case I placed a craquelure paper (from the same Bon Apetit collection) above the blender template and clipped it in place (long black pointing arrow).

Do you know how costly fancy paper punches and die cuts are? Not to mention how much space they take for storage.

A clipping mask gives you the digital equivalent of an unlimited collection of paper punches and die cuts. The only space they take is on your hard drive. I won't lie - images do need a lot of disk space, but compared to paper punches and die cuts ...

Take any digital photo, pattern, or colored paper and "cut" it to any shape your little heart desires. Wow! I love clipping masks.

Brined Salmon Recipe CardI added a little maroon ribbon from Brandy's Ribbons-to-Go set toward the bottom of the bi-fold recipe card (left pointing red arrow). Notice that, in the Layers Panel, the ribbon is above all the paper layers (right pointing red arrow). That's because I want it to appear as if a ribbon border was glued on top as a final touch.

The final (?) recipe card still features the "Bon Apetit" word art (upper right corner) and the vintage serving fork and spoon (lower left) for which I chose the original background paper. But they're blended into the lighter craquelure background so you can easily read the recipe.

2 comments:

Magnolius T. said...

I like the design. It looks like the cards are very old - from way back when.

Eileen Bergen said...

Thank you, Maggie :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails