Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Mother-of-the-Groom Ensemble Needs Artful Finishing Touches


June is the month for weddings and we'll have a groom in the family this year! Our son John is getting married at the end of the month. We're heading to San Francisco in two weeks for the joyous event.

It will be an afternoon wedding in a park. I expect many of the guests will dress casually. However, the bride will wear a traditional long white gown.

That put me in a quandary about what the mother-of-the-groom should wear until I learned that our son will wear - que sorpresa! - a traditional Mexican guayabera shirt.

[If you've been a follower for a while, you may recall that Chris and I "retired" to Mexico 16 years ago. Retirement didn't work out; but Mexico did.]

But, back to the wedding ... since John will wear a guayabera (which is traditionally quite formal in Mexico, even while modern Western fashion has taken a firm hold), I thought I could go more casual as well.

I shared the start of my outfit in this month’s newsletter over the weekend. Since you don't all get the newsletter here it is again.

Mother-of-the-Groom EnsembleIt's a work in process. I'd like to make a bracelet to match the pretty multicolor necklace, IF I can find all the beads I need here in rural Mexico. No easy task.

Good News – Bad News

The good news is I completed the outfit. The bad news is it's not with the bracelet I had in mind.

Mother-of-the-Groom EnsembleTa-da – here's the final touch to my mother-of-the groom ensemble. Yesterday I fell and broke my elbow. The cast is from shoulder to fingers. It's SO important to immobilize the elbow so that I'll have full function after the break heals.

I wish June could come over and paint a matching bracelet on my cast like the beautiful Henna Tattoos she did for her daughter a few years ago.

Then I'd love to have Deb paint one of her Whimsical Mermaids on the forearm.

Wouldn't that be cool? I know the cast alone will be a conversation starter, but how much more fun if it were an artful one as well!

In the meantime, I'm taking on the challenge of carrying out my normal activities with my non-dominant hand. It's interesting but slow.

If you catch any typos or dead links, please let me know ;-)

7 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

OMGosh Eileen!!!! I couldn't believe it when i scrolled down and saw you standing there in a cast! How did that happen? I know you said you fell but wow that must have been some fall! However you do seem to have retained your sense of humor. :)And you dominant arm too....uugghh...

I wish i could be there to doodle on your cast...:) What about mod podge? I think maybe the cast material could handle mod podge and your non dominant hand could handle the paint brush for that......?? Just a thought.....Feel better woman!!! Hugs....BIG HUGS!!deb

Eileen Bergen said...

Hi Deb,

Gosh you got a comment in even before I emailed to tell you I linked to you!

I stepped on part of an electrical cord which was someplace unexpected (anchoring it), then caught the anchored part with my other foot. BAM! Tile floors are pretty unforgiving. Just one of those things.

Ya know, I may try the decoupage idea. I like that! Thanks for the inspiration.

Cherie Burbach said...

You poor thing! I'm sending out get well wishes through the bloglines!

ACreativeDream June Crawford said...

Oh my gosh Eileen... that is quite the ouchie! I hope it heals perfectly for you!

A few years ago (back in my needlepoint designing days) one of my customers broke her arm just before Derby... and she was planning on going. Since the Derby is sort of a big deal here in Kentucky, she didn't want to go with an ugly cast. I painted the cast for her... we didn't bother to match her outfit or hat, rather I painted the silks of the horses running in the Derby that year.

I hear it was quite the success... wonder if she kept it?

I am sure you will find something completely unique and fun to do with yours, and just think, you get to practice playing with your non dominant hand... that can actually be sort of fun.

Cyndi L said...

Eileen, you are soooo adorable, no matter what your accessories are!

Barbara Moore said...

Wow Eileen, you've really done it up good haven't you? I love the Mod Podge idea too. Maybe June and Deb could paint what you wanted, mail it to you and then you could get someone to help you with decoupaging them on. That would be so cool and there wouldn't be any Mother of the Groom who has ever been more stylish! :) I'll be praying for you that you heal perfectly. Gentle Hugs, Barbara

Eileen Bergen said...

Thanks so much, you guys.

June, I love your Derby story. I should have guessed you'd already done something like that!

I'm determined to have fun with the situation. You've really helped to inspire me with ways to do so.

There definitely will be colors on this cast before we go!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails