Thursday, January 10, 2013

How to Raise Creative Kids


Introducing the Studio Kids Arts & Crafts Materials StoreAre you looking for crafts to do with young children? As one who loves to create, I fully appreciate how important it is to foster a child's creativity.

It was one of the greatest gifts my mother gave me. She encouraged (okay, bragged about) my artistic talent. I was the first kid on my block to have the 64-pack of Crayola crayons.

While the other kids went to summer camp, mother found a nun at Mount Mary College willing to teach composition and oil painting to a 10-year old for a small donation.

Not an artist herself, it must have been quite an effort for Mother to find teachers, classes, and "real artist" supplies for me back in the 50s, especially since she had five other children to raise – each in their own best way.

These days, parents don't have to go to such lengths. Today there is Kiwi Crate to guide you. The Kiwi Crate newsletter recently featured an excellent article from their blog, 10 Simple Ways to Raise Creative Kids.

Mentor, model, but don't micro-manage your child's creativity. Remove (or provide alternatives to) some of the obstacles to creative play so prevalent today. Two of the tips I liked most were: reduce screen time; and get back to the basics.

Do you remember playing with clay, craft sticks, tinker toys, bed sheets and cardboard boxes? Do you remember how good that felt and what lessons you learned along the way?

Introducing the Studio Kids Arts & Crafts Materials StoreKiwi Crate just launched their kids Studio Arts & Crafts Materials Store to help you find the best old-fashioned basic craft supplies. The materials are vetted by pros and tested by kids.

Find a fun project you want to try, then have the materials shipped right to your door! Explore interesting new materials from glittery clay to liquid watercolor and eco-friendly options.

2 comments:

Pizza Mama said...

Monday night is pizza night at our house, with Mom's homemade vegetable pizza at the top of the list of favorites.

I let the kids draw designs on the top with ketchup or mustard.

We don't like pizza sauces, so I opt to use two cans of diced tomatoes as the first layer - one can of plain and the other of Italian.

Eileen Bergen said...

Well, P.M., I guess that's one way to encourage kids' creativity.

Not sure I would like the flavor of mustard on pizza, but I do like your substitution for heavy pizza sauce!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails