Wednesday, April 25, 2012

How to Preserve Purple Iris

I took on a project for a friend who wants to preserve and showcase the flowers she received for their engagement.

I've been told, by my friend and florist, that it is a waste of time to try to dry/preserve purple iris because even if I can manage to dry them, they would simply fall apart after time.

I'm thinking, where there's a will there's a way.

Have you ever had such a challenge?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. BTW, I have to purchase two fresh iris. I slaughtered the originals :)

Jo

Making Gifts from Oddments & Outdoor MaterialsHi Jo,

I'm with you: where there's a will, there’s a way.

I consulted ...

Read more.

6 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

I'll be tuning in tomorrow! Drying flowers has always been on my 'to do ' list. As a kid i can remember an old lady friend giving me a bookmark with a dried pansy on it and i loved it! Hugs! deb

Eileen Bergen said...

Hi Deb,

If it was a pressed flower in your bookmark, we already have directions for that here

flyingbeader said...

I'm not thinking of drying the flower, but what about preserving it with coats of a gel medium. Possibly a thin coat on one side & see if it is possible to do this without too much damage. Then once that is dry & set, turn it over & apply the gel medium on the other side. I've never tried this before with organic materials, but it might work & keep it intact & without taking the color away.

jinxxxygirl said...

I remember those directions! Lookee there i commented on them over a year ago! Wow! Time flies. LOL!

Eileen Bergen said...

Hi Flying Beader,

I know you can preserve flowers with thick layers or blocks of resin. Resin creates a perfect airtight seal.

I don't think gel medium would work because more moisture could enter and cause mold.

Eileen Bergen said...

Yup, you did, Deb. And yup, it sure does!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails