Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My Workspace – from Chaotic to Copasetic

On the One Side: Chaos

Craft OrganizationIt doesn't look as bad in the photo as it does in real life. This is my craft table with projects in process piled on top of each other and covering every available surface.

I've been busily beading bracelets for this year's 7000 Bracelets of Hope campaign. I've done three so far and have started my fourth and final one. I'll be sharing them over the next week or so.

I love jewelry making, but boy does it make a mess of one's craft space! I have to pull EVERYTHING out to find just the right components. I usually start with a single bead or focal piece that caught my eye and then have to find stuff to complement it.

When I finish bracelet #4, I want to get back to making cards for The Artful Crafter Card Party to benefit people with cancer.

I'm hoping some of my paper crafting friends will link up their creations soon. I can't wait to see what they've done!

On the Other Side: Copasetic

Craft OrganizationThis cozy corner on the other side of my workroom looks like a pretty happy place … and in fact, it is. I know I need to do something with that cheap messy corkboard. It's on my list to cover with fabric and maybe add French board strips. Then … no more thumbtacks or push pins!

I'm now using a laptop for my daily internet work; which will make it convenient to pick up and go when we travel.

Craft OrganizationI couldn’t give up my 20-inch monitor which is great for digital graphics. It's now at the other end of the counter, just one roll of my desk chair away.

Just look at me roll - wheeeeee!

Tags:

9 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

Love seeing your workspace! Personally thought i hate working off a laptop. Feels all cramped. But we have one for travel when needed.

Eileen Bergen said...

I'm trying to adjust to the smaller screen, but otherwise my laptop setup is pretty cool.

It doesn't show in the photo, but I type on a separate keyboard which is on a slide-out tray under the desktop. So I'm not cramped at all.

And the laptop is set at the proper height for me by resting it on a 2-inch desk organizer drawer which contains little odds and ends.

Can you see June's art work on my inspiration wall to the left. Your blue butterfly is further left (out of the picture).

jinxxxygirl said...

Oh yes and deedy i did notice June's work its so distinctive. Oooo and the blue butterfly made it on the wall Yippee!! :)

Cherie said...

Organizing is always hard. I think you'll like working on the laptop, it's so much easier to just take it and go outside if you feel like it. Noticed June's artwork there, too!

Tammy said...

My jewelry areas are always a mess. I actually had to move a lot of the work space into the guest/stuff/exercise room because my cats are so young now that they just can't resist beads!

Eileen Bergen said...

Glad to hear I'm not alone in being unable to keep my beading space neat when I'm in jewelry making mode, Tammy.

Dogs, cats, small children ... definitely don't mix with small beads.

Eileen Bergen said...

Deb and Cherie,

You were both right. Cherie, the laptop is great for when I travel - just pick it up and go.

Plus all my files are already there; and we've added Dropbox cloud storage and JustCloud for backing up the whole disk.

Deb, you were right in that I couldn't deal with working on the small screen full time.

After just 4 months, I had to go to the eye doctor - thought I needed new glasses.

He said the prescription is perfect. I was just having eye strain.

Now I'm still working on the laptop; but hubby set up a large monitor in FRONT of it. lol.

Best of both worlds, I hope. I'm loving being able to still see clearly by the end of the day ;-)

Eileen Hull said...

Eileen- love seeing your set-up. My room is a huge mess but it gives me hope that someday I will be organized again!

Eileen Bergen said...

Hi Eileen,

I think it's a cycle - we organize and then dis-organize with our projects. lol.

I don't know if there's a way to break the cycle and stay ahead of the mess. Maybe that's just the nature of the creative process - especially when you have deadlines to meet!

I just posted an update in Small Screens Can Lead to Eyestrain.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails